Click the tabs below for details & CALLS FOR ENTRIES for Upcoming Exhibitions.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
14th Annual Wabi-Sabi Exhibit dedicated to Joan Sadler
Exhibition Dates: June 1 – 22, 2017
Entry Dates (in-person): May 26 & 27 (see below)
Juror: Abby Wasserman & Elaine James
Entry Fee: $30 OHCA members, $40 non-members, for up to three pieces. Become a new OHCA member at the time of delivery and get your entry fee waived!Download a Printable PDF of this Notice
O’Hanlon Center for the Arts invites you to submit work for our 14th Annual Wabi-Sabi Exhibition.
“…celebrating the simple, the rustic, the unassuming; the dignity of things imperfect,
uncontrolled and incomplete; the transient beauty of the natural world…”
When seeking to understand Wabi-Sabi, it is helpful to contemplate the idea that beauty is not in the object, but rather in the experience of it – the mood, the atmosphere, the feeling it evokes. The emphasis of this exhibit will be not on the final perfected form of the work, but on how well pieces reflect the sense and feeling of this elusive concept. In particular, focus will be on the imaginative use of materials and uniqueness. Submissions may include interesting found objects that show weathering and age and are not artist-made. See the Wabi-Sabi portion of the OHCA website for inspiration and more resources: ohanloncenter.org/wabi-sabi/
Contemporary, expressionistic, abstract, exploratory, and/or experimental entries encouraged. O’Hanlon Center for the Arts emphasizes the creative process and the continued pursuit of meaning and authenticity through observation, exploration, and experimentation.
MEDIA: All Media
- Open to all artists age 16 and over.
- Submission limit: 3 works per artist.
- Please do not submit works previously displayed in the O’Hanlon Gallery.
- All work must be ready for display.
- Wall hung pieces must be securely wired.
- Label all work with Artist’s Name, Phone, Size & Price, if for sale.
- Bring resume and/or artist statement, if desired. (2 pages max.)
On Entry Dates shown below… Please hand-deliver (no slides or digital submissions) up to three pieces of work to: O’Hanlon Center for the Arts • 616 Throckmorton Avenue, Mill Valley CA 94941
|Entry Dates (in-person):||Friday||May 26||11 am – 4 pm|
|” “||Saturday||May 27||11 am – 1 pm|
|Artist Notification (by email)||Tuesday||May 30||(by 5 pm)|
|Art pickup: Non-selected works||Thursday||June 1||1 – 3 pm|
|” “||Friday||June 2||11 am – 4 pm|
|” “||Tuesday||June 6||6 – 8 pm|
|Exhibition OPENS||Thursday||June 1|
|Artist Roundtable Discussion Opening (First Tues) Reception||Tuesday||June 6||4 – 6 pm|
|6 – 8 pm|
|Exhibition CLOSES||Thursday||June 22|
|Art Pickup: Unsold works||Friday||June 23||11 am – 4 pm|
|” “||Saturday||June 24||11 am – 1 pm|
- Accepted work must remain on view for the duration of the exhibition.
- Artists agree to make a 30% tax-deductible donation to OHCA from all sales.
- While all reasonable care is taken with submitted artwork, OHCA strongly recommends that exhibiting artists carry their own insurance. OHCA and representatives will not assume any liability for any damage or loss.
- By submitting work, artists agree that photographic images and/or video of the artist and/or their artwork, in whole or in part, may be used by OHCA for publicity in various forms including print, online and social media.
About the Jurors – Abby Wasserman & Elaine James
Abby Wasserman is an assemblage artist whose pieces incorporate fragile materials such as twigs and branches, kelp, bones, feathers, old calligraphy, and various fibers. Also a writer, she leads a freewriting group Thursday mornings at O’Hanlon Center. http://abbywasserman.com
Elaine James has a deep interest in the aesthetic concept of Wabi/Sabi. She has visited Japan twice, first in 1967 when she spent several weeks in Tokyo and a few months in Kamakura. Her studies have been with Yoshiko Wada at Fiberworks in Berkeley and at San Francisco State in the 70’s when she studied historical tea ceremony and literature in translation. She leads a monthly class at O’Hanlon Center, Art in the Afternoon, on the 2nd Tuesday afternoon of the month.
For more info: Contact Center Director: Kellan Christopher at 415.388.4331 or email@example.com
Postcard Art: Joan Sadler; Design: Jeremy Thornton
Show: Abstract Figurative
Juror: Susan Snyder
Exhibition Dates: June 29 – July 20, 2017
Entry Dates: June 23 & 24
Roundtable and Reception: TBD
Show: Bay Area Women Artists
Juror: Donna Seager and Suzanne Gray
Exhibition Dates: July 27 – August 24, 2017
- Round One, Online Entries: June 21 – July 11
- Final Round (by-hand delivery of works selected in Round 1): July 21 & 22
Roundtable and Reception: August 1, 2017
Titles, Descriptions & Jurors of future exhibitions subject to change. Please subscribe to our Newsletter to receive our Calls for Entries via email.
The mission of O’Hanlon Center for the Arts is to provide programs, studio space, exhibitions and experiences that honor individual creativity, develop artistic practice, and build community.
- Abstract Figurative • July 2017
- Bay Area Women Artists • Aug 2017
- Tom & Cayen Robertson • Sept 2017 (No Call for Entries)
- Essence of Water • Oct 2017
- Inspired by Textures • Nov 2017
- Art of the Spirit • Dec 2017