CALL FOR ENTRIES
Inspired by Textures
Exhibition Dates: Nov 2-22, 2017
Entry Dates (in-person): Oct 27 & 28 (see below)
Jurors: Emily Dvorin & Bonnie Himberg
Entry Fee: $30 OHCA members, $40 non-members, for up to three pieces. Become a new OHCA member at the time of delivery and get your entry fee waived!
O’Hanlon Center for the Arts invites artists to submit works for our Nov 2017 Gallery exhibit “Inspired by Textures.” This exhibit will focus on the textural quality of creative works. Most types of media have some kind of inherent texture… consider the ways in which adding layers, contours or other forms of relief may enhance or change the base texture. We hope to see not only fiber art & sculptural works, but also paintings, collage, monoprints, photographs, etc which explore all the possibilities of TEXTURE. Contemporary, expressionistic, abstract, exploratory, and/or experimental entries encouraged.
O’Hanlon Center for the Arts emphasizes the creative process and the continued pursuit of meaning and authenticity through observation, exploration, and experimentation.
MEDIA: All Media
- Open to all artists age 16 and over.
- Submission limit: 3 works per artist.
- Please do not submit works previously displayed in the O’Hanlon Gallery.
- All work must be ready for display.
- Wall hung pieces must be securely wired.
- Label all work with Artist’s Name, Phone, Size & Price, if for sale.
- Bring resume and/or artist statement, if desired. (2 pages max.)
On Entry Dates shown below…
Please hand-deliver (no slides or digital submissions) up to three pieces of work to:
O’Hanlon Center for the Arts • 616 Throckmorton Avenue, Mill Valley CA 94941
|Entry Dates (in-person):||Friday
||11 am – 4 pm
|” “||Saturday||Oct 28||11 am – 1 pm|
|Artist Notification (by email)||Tuesday||Oct 31||(by 5 pm)|
|Art pickup: Non-selected works||Thursday||Nov 2||1 – 3 pm|
|” “||Friday||Nov 3||11 am – 4 pm|
|” “||Tuesday||Nov 7||5:30 – 7:30 pm|
|Exhibition OPENS||Thursday||Nov 2|
| Artist Roundtable Discussion
|Tuesday||Nov 7||4:00 pm|
|5:30 – 7:30 pm|
|Exhibition CLOSES||Thursday||Nov 22|
|Art Pickup: Unsold works||Saturday||Nov 25||11 am – 1 pm|
|” “||Monday||Nov 27||11 am – 4 pm|
- Accepted work must remain on view for the duration of the exhibition.
- Artists agree to make a 30% tax-deductible donation to OHCA from all sales.
- While all reasonable care is taken with submitted artwork, OHCA strongly recommends that exhibiting artists carry their own insurance. OHCA and representatives will not assume any liability for any damage or loss.
- By submitting work, artists agree that photographic images and/or video of the artist and/or their artwork, in whole or in part, may be used by OHCA for publicity in various forms including print, online and social media.
About the Jurors
Emily is a self-taught, award-winning fiber artist, known for her innovative “transordinary”, sculptural baskets. She grew up in the 50s in New Jersey, spent some college and graduate school years in the 60s getting a teaching degree, moved to California in the 70s and owned a contemporary crafts store, Various &Sundries, in San Anselmo for 35 years in the 70s, 80s, 90s and into the 2000s.
In 2008, Emily retired to live her “life’s dream” of becoming a full-time artist. She now has a studio in Sausalito, CA. She is president of the National Basketry Organization. She continues to teach classes for both adults and children, and she speaks, consults and exhibits all around the country. www.emilydvorin.com
Artist Statement: I am a fabric artist whose work has ranged from life-sized soft-sculpture animal butlers and ottomans to smaller felted scarves, birds, and other whimsical creations and wearable art. My studio is in the Sausalito ICB Building, and I have learned various new felting techniques at my part-time home in Marlborough, New Zealand. I grew up in Mexico, have an M.A in fine arts from San Francisco State, taught textile art at Fort Mason Art Center, have participated in ACC shows throughout the country, and have juried several shows and exhibits. www.mounttamartists.org/artists/bonnie-himberg/
For more info: Contact Center Director: Kellan Christopher at 415.388.4331 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Art & Photography: Stonefox | Design : Jeremy Thornton
Show: Art of the Spirit
Juror: Patsy Krebs
Exhibition Dates: Dec 1-29, 2017
Entry Dates: Sat Nov 25 & Mon Nov 27
Roundtable and Reception: Dec 5, 2017
Titles, Descriptions & Jurors of future exhibitions subject to change. Please subscribe to our Newsletter to receive our Calls for Entries via email.
The mission of O’Hanlon Center for the Arts is to provide programs, studio space, exhibitions and experiences that honor individual creativity, develop artistic practice, and build community.
- Art of the Spirit • Dec 2017
- Annual O’Hanlon Members Show • Jan 2018